We Take Safety Seriously
Our world can be a scary and sometimes dangerous place, but Garces isn’t. While the Church is called to be in the world, and not of the world, it’s impossible to be completely separate, especially while having a community-centered mindset. That’s why we have these things in place… to ensure our students are protected and safe during their formative years.
School Grounds Security
- The GMHS campus is fence enclosed and all gates are locked during school hours.
- GMHS is protected by SSD Security Alarm during non-school hours.
- GMHS contracts with M&S Security Services.
- At least one security officer arrives on campus during school days at 6:00 am.
- All pedestrian and parking lot gates are opened at 6:00 am and the security alarm is deactivated.
- All gates are locked 8:00 am once class has begun.
- GMHS has security cameras in place throughout the school. The cameras are monitored by the front desk, and all administrators have access to monitor the cameras.
- Anyone (students, parents, deliveries, etc.) entering the campus once the gates are locked must ring a buzzer at the front gate. The front desk clerk must observe the visitor on camera and release the locking mechanism for the individual to have access to the Administration Office.
- A second locked gate prevents a visitor or student from entering the main campus grounds without going through the Administration Office.
- At the conclusion of classes pedestrian gates and student parking gates are opened.
- The front gate closes at 4:00 pm.
- At least one student parking gate will remain open until the conclusion of athletics and activities.
- All gates will be locked by 10:00 pm and the school security alarm will be activated.
- At least one security officer is on campus from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.
- Additional security officers are added for athletics, activities, and special events as needed.
- Bakersfield Police and Halls Ambulance are contracted for security and medical aid during home football games.
- When shut, classroom doors are to remain locked at all times for active shooter or other intruder precaution. A teacher may prop a door open for ventilation during class time, however the door handle shale remain locked so the door can be secured easily and rapidly.
- During passing periods, lunch, and break times Administrators, and Faculty monitor the quad and school grounds supervising students.
- Bathrooms and other isolated areas are monitored and checked regularly.
- All visitors must report through the Administration Office.
- Fire drills and earthquake drills occur throughout the year.
- Administrators, faculty, and staff are trained annually on the GMHS Emergency Operation Plan, including active shooter, emergency lockdown, fire drills, and other disasters.
- All administrators, faculty, staff, coaches, and others who have access and interaction with students must complete safe school training, CPR training, and complete back ground checks.