Foreign Languages Courses Offered
GARCES REQUIREMENT: Two years (four semesters) in the SAME language; three years strongly recommended.
How to Purchase and download the Avancemos (Spanish) & Bien Dit (French) textbooks:
- Using Safari on your Ipad or another Internet browser on a desktop computer, go to https://escobooks.com/customer/account/login/ to create and login to ESCO.com. Make sure you indicate "Garces Memorial High School” as your school.
- Purchase the appropriate level of the Avancemos/Bien Dit ETextbook. (Please note: French III and IV students will be using Bien Dit level III. Both are not listed correctly on ESCO.)
- Download the application "Shelf It by ESCO" from the app store onto your Ipad.
- Login to your account using the same email and password as you used at ESCO.com.
- Use the code you received from ESCO.com to download the ebook to the Shelf It app.
A couple of notes:
1. DO NOT purchase your books through KNO.com. Only use Shelf It by ESCO.
2. If you have not yet purchased workbooks for your language classes, please wait to find out if they are still required by your teacher. If you have already purchased the workbook, please do not open the wrapping or write on the workbook in case it is not required and can be returned.
Spanish I and French I
This course is a preliminary study of the spoken and written language.
Spanish II and French II (CP)
Is a continuation from Spanish and French I. Audio-lingual activity with grammar is integrated.
Spanish II and French II (honors)
Is designed for students who wish to continue the Honors and AP program of languages.
Students requesting admission to this course must have a “B+” or better in the level I course and the recommendation of the level I instructor. Students must also maintain a “B-“ average or better to remain in this course.
Spanish III and French III (CP)
Is a continuation from Spanish and French I and II. Audio-lingual activity and grammar becomes intensive and extensive. The course concentrates on vocabulary expansion and the refinement of grammar skills through oral and written exercises.
Spanish III and French III (Honors)
Is designed for students who wish to continue in the honors and AP programs. This course is designed to provide advanced, qualified students the opportunity to develop their linguistic abilities.
Prerequisites for enrollment are: a grade of “A” in level II (P) or a grade of “B” or better in level II (H) and a recommendation from the previous instructor. The student is expected to maintain a grade of “B” or better to remain in this course.
Spanish IV and French IV (CP)
Is a 90% immersion whose principal objective is to achieve maximum proficiency in the four linguistic components.
Spanish and French AP
Is a ‘TOTAL’ immersion course whose objective is proficiency in Spanish and French writing, speaking, and reading comprehension.
Prerequisites for enrollment are a grade of “B” or better in level III (H) and a recommendation from the instructor and the department chair.